Traditional Chinese dishes prepared with the flavors and ingredients of the island have been lovingly named Trini-Chinese food!! These recipes are just another part of Trinidad's unique multi-cultural cuisine. From fried rice to wontons, we love it all...
Trini-Chinese Sweet & Sour Shrimp
- 2 lbs shrimp; shelled and cleaned (Marinate with salt/pepper, thyme, organic no salt seasoning, green seasoning, pepper sauce and 1 tbsp corn starch)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger; minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 carrots; cut in strips
- 2 bell peppers (1 green, 1 red); cut in strips
- 2 celery stalks; cut in strips
- 3 scallions; chopped
Sauce- combine all ingredient in mixing bowl and whisk until fully incorporated.
- 2 tbsp cornflour (mixed into ¼ C water)
- ¼ C white vinegar
- ¼ C pineapple or orange juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 C water
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 pinches of salt
- Heat vegetable oil and red pepper flakes in wok and stir fry shrimp for 4-5 min; Shrimp is done when it turns color to pink. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add a little more oil then garlic, ginger, onion, carrots and celery, stir fry for 4-5, then add the bell peppers and stir fry for an additional 2-3 mins or until the vegetables are cooked to your preference.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the sauce, cook stirring constantly until the sauce thickens (about 1-2mins).
- Add the cooked shrimp back to the wok and stir together.
- Turn off heat and allow to set for 3-5 mins before serving, garnish with the chopped scallions.
- Serve with rice.