On a snowy evening, whats better than some warm apple cobbler and a scoop of vanilla ice cream?? I can't think of anything more comforting. Give this twist on an old classic a try, it will warm you heart and soul.
Apple Cobbler Swirl
- 2 C Gala Apples; chopped
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Angustora bitters*
- Combine in a medium mixing bowl, make sure all the apple pieces are completely coated.
- Cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
- 1 ½ C water
- 1 ½ C granulated sugar
Bring water and sugar to a simmer in small sauce pan until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- 1 ½ C Flour; sifted
- ½ C Shortening
- 1/3 C Low Fat Milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ C (1 stick) butter melted in 8”round cake pan
- Combine all pastry ingredients in large mixing bowl, attached dough hook to electric or stand mixer, knead until the mixtures comes away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn out onto floured surface, and roll pastry until it is about ½ inch in thickness.
- Sprinkle the pastry with the Apple Filling, making sure the entire surface is evenly covered.
- Wrap the pastry into a roll to form the swirl pattern like a jelly roll, cut into 2 inch think slices, and place the slices into 8” round cake pan with melted butter.
- Pour simple syrup over the apple swirl.
- Bake for 50-60 mins, until the liquid absorbed and apple swirl cobbler is bubbling.