So what do you make when you don't really feel like cooking, try this recipe. A great creamy mac and cheese with the veggies right in there, who wont love that.
Easy Greeny Mac and Cheesy- i channeled my inner cornball for this great name, hehe
- ½ lb Multigrain Penne
- 1 C Frozen or Fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ¼ onion, minced
- 1 ½ - 2 C Chicken Stock
- ½ C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring salted water to a boil, then add pasta. Cook for 7 mins, then add in broccoli. Cook for additional 5 mins or until pasta is aldente and broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Drain in colander.
- In the same pot melt butter on medium low heat. Sautee the onions and grate the garlic directly into the melted butter and onions.
- Add in the flour and whisk constantly until the flour cooks, making a “rue” (this is when the flour no longer looks white, and the mixture takes on a cream colored paste like texture).
- Add in the stock and whisk constantly in a figure 8 motion (this keeps the rue from sticking the corners and gets the liquid fully incorporated).
- Whisk until all the lumps are gone and the sauce thicken.
- Turn the heat to low and season with salt/pepper and organic seasoning salt (to taste), add in the cheese and continue to whisk in figure 8 until the cheese completely melted in and smooth and creamy.. YUM YUM!
- Put the drained pasta and broccoli in the cheese sauce and mix well, turn of heat.
- Stand for 5mins, then serve!