If i didn't say it in a previous post, i'm saying it now: I HATE FRYING FOOD! Ok so maybe i don't hate it, ok i do. The process of getting out the oil, making sure you have enough oil, trying not to get splattered by oil.... and on and on and on. So whenever i can avoid it, i DO! So even if you don't have an aversion to frying, baking is better for your heart health. This recipe will have you thinking you put in all the extra work and time for traditional fried chicken. Its easy and 1-2-3 and can be done any day of the week. Next time you have a hankering for some fried chicken, do your heart a favor and try this recipe.
Oven Fried Chicken Legs
- 4-8 Chicken drumsticks (well seasoned with green seasoning, pepper sauce, thyme and salt/pepper)
- ½ C Flour
- 1 packet Sazon
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 C Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Organic no salt seasoning
- Vegetable Oil Cooking spray
- Baking/Cooling rack
- Baking dish
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F.
- Set up breading station: You will need 3 shallow bowls. In one shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt/pepper, and Sazon. Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and no salt seasoning in another bowl. In the 3rd bowl, wisk the egg with 1 tbsp water.
- Bread the chicken in this order: Lightly dredge the chicken legs (one at a time) in the flour, shaking off any excess flour.Then dip the drumstick (one at a time) in the egg wash, let any excess liquid drip off.Final step is to dredge the drumsticks in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure all areas are completely covered. Place on rack to allow excess breading to fall off.
- Spray each drumstick with cooking spray. Place on baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50mins until golden brown (flip the drumsticks half way through baking to ensure both sides of the legs get golden brown, if you have an oven safe rack, bake the drumsticks on the rack).
- Allow to cool on paper towel.