Cupcakes=Fun!! Next time you have a birthday cake to buy or make, try cupcakes instead. They are the perfect size and kids and adults love them equally. This recipe is a variation of my favorite simple cake recipe from the Kitchen Aid Cookbook. The use of only egg whites gives the batter a light as air texture. I added the lemon zest for a burst of simple freshness. I frost them with a light version of cream cheese frosting and sprinkles.. WHAT FUN!
Light n Fluffy Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 C all purpose Flour
- 1 ½ C granulated Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ C Shortening
- 1 C low-fat Milk
- 4 Egg whites
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 350⁰ F.
- Combine (sift the flour) dry ingredients in mixer bowl.
- Add shortening, milk, vanilla, and zest. Mix at low speed on electric or stand mixer for about a 1 minute.
- Stop and scrape, add egg whites. Turn to medium high speed and beat about 1 min, or until the batter is smooth and fluffy.
- Pour batter into greased of lined cupcake tins (try to only fill the cups to the half way point).
- Bake at 350⁰ F for 20-25 mins, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 mins then remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Frost when completely cooled.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 mini tubs (1.25 oz each) Strawberry cream cheese; softened
- ½ C (1 stick) butter; softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 C powdered sugar
- Combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and zest in mixer bowl. Cream together on medium high speed with electric mixer or stand mixer for 2 minutes. Stop and scrape.
- Sift powdered sugar into the mixer bowl. Mix on low speed for about 30 secs until just combined. Stop and scrape.
- Turn to medium high and beat for 2 minutes until the frosting starts to look light and fluffy.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.