Potato Pie is a classic Trinidadian side dish. Growing up in America, i thought the dish might have been something my mom made up. That was until traveling to Trinidad and realizing its EVERYWHERE! Every restaurant and even the food court kiosk sells potato pie as a side dish option; each one slightly different and yet very much the same. I got the idea for this variation on the classic potato pie by having cauliflower mash at a restaurant (low carb/low fat menu options- i order from this section because the portions are much smaller, i don't feel like i am waisting food). I figured if they could substitute Cauliflower for Potato in a mash, the same could be done in a pie.. I was RIGHT!! Its simple, healthy and delicious. If your looking for a side dish, give this twisted classic a try!
Cauliflower & Potato Pie
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 large potato
- ½ stick butter
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- ¼ C grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ C bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil spray
- Preheat oven to 385⁰ F.
- Clean and trim the head of cauliflower, then cut into florets. Peel the potato and cut into pieces that are the same size as your cauliflower florets.
- Steam the cauliflower and potato until they are soft enough to easily mash.
- Mash the cauliflower and potato in mixing bowl with the butter and cream cheese. Salt the mixture to taste.
- Evenly spread the mixture into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Top with grated cheddar cheese and bread crumbs, spray the top with vegetable oil spray.
- Bake for 30-35 until the top of the pie is golden brown.